Skip to main content

When Did Meanness Become a Personality? (Asking for a Friend Who Still Believes in Kindness)


Let’s set the scene:

It’s a bright Tuesday morning. I’m sipping my coffee, scrolling through social media like any responsible adult procrastinating on chapter edits. And there it is. Not one, not two, but fifteen comments dragging someone’s handmade soap like it personally committed a felony.

“I’d never use this on my worst enemy.”
“Looks like slugs.”
“Bet it smells like despair.”

I mean… wow. That escalated faster than my heart rate when I remember I left the laundry in the washer three days ago.

And this isn’t about soap, or art, or books, or fashion, or whatever passion someone was brave enough to share with the world. This is about the sudden popularity of… let’s call it the Snark Olympics. And friend, everyone seems to think they’re going for gold.

When did meanness become the default?

When did “this isn’t for me” turn into “this person must be publicly humiliated and possibly banished to the nether realms”?

Now, I’m not saying we all need to sprinkle glitter and sing kumbaya under a full moon (although, full disclosure, I have done this—don’t knock it till you try it). But here’s a wild idea: what if we brought back basic human kindness? You know, like vintage charm, but for your soul.

Let me tell you a secret from the writing world: every author I know—myself included—hits “publish” with their heart in their throat. We want people to like our characters, get swept up in the story, maybe even tear up or laugh out loud. And we do want feedback, but maybe not in the form of “This author clearly writes with their feet.”

One reader's “meh” is another reader’s “this changed my life.” We don’t all have the same taste, thank goodness. I mean, someone out there genuinely enjoys candy corn, and they deserve happiness, too.

So the next time you see something that isn’t for you, maybe just… scroll on by. Or—dare I say—cheer them on for being brave enough to share their weird, wonderful, totally-not-your-thing creation.

Because somewhere out there is a person who stayed up all night writing, painting, baking, sewing, or recording a song with their dog howling in the background, and they finally worked up the courage to post it online.

Let’s be their “yay,” not their “yikes.”

And hey, if that fails, channel my Papillon dog Pixie. She has zero tolerance for drama, is 100% confident in her messy fur and sparkly collar, and absolutely will bite your ankles if you’re mean in the comments.

Kindness. It’s not vintage. It’s not old-fashioned. It’s just… classy.
Let’s bring it back, shall we?

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to compliment a stranger’s weird Etsy hat. Because someone needs to.

—
xo,
Sabine


Cozy Mystery Author | Papillon Dog Enthusiast | Believer in Good Vibes & Good Books

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...