Skip to main content

Even as an author - You Can’t Sit There All Day – The Muse Needs Her Agility Time


I know what the experts say. “Writers write.” “Butt in chair, fingers on keys.” “Power through the block!”
Sure. Okay. I hear you.

But after approximately six hours in the same chair, surviving on coffee, creative fumes, and the misguided hope that the next scene will magically write itself, I start to feel like Gollum from Lord of the Rings. Only less shiny.

That’s when Blueberry enters the picture.

Blueberry is my Papillon dog, my muse, and arguably the real boss of this household. She has the self-confidence of a rockstar on a reunion tour. When Blueberry decides it's time for agility practice, she does not negotiate. There are no polite suggestions. There is barking. There is trotting in place. There is staring. And there is absolutely no chance I’m going to get away with, “Five more minutes, sweetie.”

I’ve learned that when Blueberry wants to move, I’d better move with her.

So we go outside. We run, we leap, we weave through poles, sprint through tunnels, and sometimes I trip over my own feet while she executes a perfect jump with the grace of a ballerina. I swear she gives me a look when I fumble. She's part cheerleader, part judge from a doggy version of So You Think You Can Dance.

But here’s the beautiful truth: when we’re out there, playing and training, I feel more human. I remember that writing isn’t just about living in my head—it’s about living in the world. Laughing. Bonding. Getting fresh air in my lungs and humility in my soul (thank you, Blueberry, for reminding me I am not in charge).

And the magic? Oh, the magic comes back. After we’ve had our agility time, she’s tuckered out, snuggled up with her paws over her eyes in a sunbeam, and I sit down—heart pumping, cheeks flushed, slightly less caffeinated—and the ideas flow. It’s like the cobwebs got shaken out, the gears oiled, the muse (Blueberry) appeased.

Yes, she’s a diva. She insists on treats delivered with the proper fanfare. She absolutely has a preferred side for photos. And don’t even think about using the cheap dog shampoo—she will sulk dramatically. But she’s also my daily reminder that writing is not meant to be a punishment. It’s supposed to be a joy. A dance. A chase through a tunnel, toward the story waiting on the other side.

So if you’re ever stuck, whether you’re a writer or just someone spinning in circles at your desk, take it from Blueberry and me: get up. Move. Laugh. Do something ridiculous. Humble yourself by racing a five-pound Papillon who thinks you are the sidekick in her story.

And then? Sit back down. You’ve got work to do. (But only once the diva approves.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...