Skip to main content

Debunking the Lightning Myth: Where’s My Thunderbolt of Inspiration?

You know that old myth that inspiration strikes like lightning?
Yeah. Let’s go ahead and toss that in the compost bin, right next to last week’s kale.

As a cozy mystery author, I get asked all the time: “Where do you get your ideas?”
There’s this widely held belief that writers are constantly floating around in a bubble of creativity, sipping tea and spontaneously birthing brilliant plots like literary unicorns.

Let me just invite you into the real scene at my house.

It’s 9 a.m. I shuffle into my writing space, which is honestly just a desk covered in sticky notes, empty mugs, and at least three pens I pretend I don’t chew. I sit down. Crack knuckles. Tell myself, “Today is the day I finish Chapter Four!”

And… absolutely nothing happens.

Not a plot twist. Not a witty line of dialogue. Not even a suspicious footprint on a doormat. Just blank screen and the sound of Blueberry, my extremely judgmental Papillon, sighing loudly from her perch on the armchair.

If you don’t believe me, she’ll tell you herself.

Blueberry’s Commentary:
“She stares at the screen. Then she Googles synonyms for ‘suspicious.’ Then she opens a bag of pretzels. I don’t know what Chapter Four is, but I’m 85% sure it smells like snacks and existential dread.”

Here’s the real truth: inspiration is rarely a thunderbolt. It’s more like trying to catch a slippery idea with a butterfly net while your dog glares at you because you promised walkies an hour ago.

Some days, I write one sentence. Some days I write a paragraph so awkward, I think I may have just committed a literary crime. But I write.
Because, as my editor reminds me (often), “We can fix bad. We can even fix horrendous. -- We can’t fix nothing.”

(They also said this while eating a donut and side-eyeing my outline, which I definitely meant to update last week.)

I used to believe the whole lightning bolt thing, too. That magical inspiration would just… show up, tap me on the shoulder, and whisper, “Psst, the killer is the town librarian with a cucumber sandwich.”
But here’s what actually works: showing up. Sitting down. Writing something, even if it’s weird. Especially if it’s weird.

Sometimes the real magic comes when you least expect it—mid-sentence, mid-snack, or mid-walk with a dog who thinks she’s my co-author.

Blueberry again:
“Correction: I am the muse. You’re just the typist.”

So, dear reader (and fellow frazzled writer), the next time you imagine authors frolicking through fields of inspiration—know that behind every published book is a writer in yoga pants, staring at their screen, whispering, “Just one good sentence… please…”
And possibly sharing pretzels with a Papillon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...