Skip to main content

The Secret to Loving Your Work (and Living to Tell the Tale)

There’s this German TV show I love. It’s one of those wonderfully slow-paced, feel-good programs where a guy drives around the countryside, poking into little-known corners of the world, visiting old craftsmen, artists, and those wonderfully eccentric people who always have a twinkle in their eye and a suspiciously large number of half-finished projects lying around.

You know the type. The ones who start their sentences with, "Ach, back in my day..." but then promptly pull out a blowtorch, a chisel, or an embroidery needle and create something breathtaking.

But here’s the thing—they’re not just working. They’re living. They LOVE what they do. They’re in their seventies, their eighties, sometimes even their nineties, and they’re still at it. Not because they have to, but because they want to. Because whatever they do—be it woodcarving, painting, weaving, or some bizarre skill no one’s even heard of outside their tiny village—it’s their thing.

And I think there’s a lesson in that.

"You work to make a living. You live to make a life."

Now, let’s be real. Most of us didn’t grow up dreaming of spreadsheets, meetings, or answering emails at 11 PM because some guy named Todd in accounting can’t figure out how to attach a file. But passion? That’s something else entirely.

Think about it. When was the last time you lost track of time because you were so into something? That’s what these artisans have figured out. They’re not counting the days to retirement. They’re too busy doing the thing they love.

And you know what? That’s exactly what writing feels like to me.

Writing: A Job, A Passion, and the Occasional Existential Crisis

I write because I have to. Not in a "help, I have deadlines" kind of way (though, let’s be honest, that’s also true), but in a something inside me needs to come out kind of way. The same way a painter sees a blank canvas and immediately envisions a masterpiece, I see a blank page and think, What if a ghost lived in a Victorian attic and solved murders with a talking dog?

Normal thoughts. Totally normal.

Writing is my version of those old-world crafts. It’s the thing that keeps me up at night with ideas, the thing I’d do even if no one paid me (which, let’s face it, was definitely the case in the beginning). It’s also the thing that gives me the occasional identity crisis when I realize a plot hole is big enough to drive that German TV guy’s van through.

But I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Find Your Thing, Love Your Thing, Do Your Thing

Maybe you’re a writer. Maybe you bake, paint, sculpt, or build tiny ships in bottles (which, by the way, HOW?). Whatever it is, do it because you love it. Do it because it feels right. Do it because one day, some curious TV host might drive up in a van and ask you, "So, why do you still do this at 85?"

And you can grin, wipe the sawdust (or ink, or flour, or paint) from your hands, and say, Because I can’t imagine my life without it.

That’s the secret, my friends. Find what you love. Do it for as long as you can. And never, ever let Todd from accounting ruin your passion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...