Skip to main content

Gone North… for “Research.” (Sort of.)

Friends, readers, fellow caffeine-dependent life forms—

This is your friendly neighborhood author reporting live from... somewhere just shy of the Arctic Circle. Okay, maybe not that far north, but it feels like it. Especially when your only connection to civilization involves plugging in the Starlink and hoping the squirrels don’t chew through the cable.

Now, you know me. I’m all about showing up, putting on the writing pants (they're stretchy, obviously), and getting the words down. I love a good “sit down and do the thing” moment. That’s my jam. But sometimes, you’ve got to do something radical.

You have to... stop.

I know. Take a breath. I’ll wait while you recover from that bombshell.

Truth is, the creative well doesn’t refill itself, especially not when I’m knee-deep in deadlines, plotting magical mysteries, and making sure Pixie the Papillon doesn’t unionize for more treats and magical screen time. So I did something wild: I packed up, left the to-do list behind, and escaped north. Way north.

Not to some far-flung beach paradise where you sip tiny umbrella drinks while someone fans you with a palm leaf (though if you're offering, I won’t say no). Nope. I'm staying right here in good ol’ Ontario—just the part where your GPS gives up and starts blinking “???". I’ve gone where the roads are gravel, the loons outnumber the people, and the only Starbucks is a moose-shaped shadow at sunrise.

And let me tell you, it’s glorious.

There's limited Wi-Fi (one hour a day if you ask Starlink nicely), no city noise, and absolutely zero chance of me "accidentally" reorganizing the spice drawer instead of writing. I’ve traded scrolling for stargazing. I’ve swapped email refreshes for campfire crackles. And I’ve remembered something vital:

The best ideas don’t come when you force them.

They sneak up while you're kayaking down a misty river, or while you’re trying to swat a mosquito with your sandal and end up in a full yoga pose. They arrive somewhere between your third marshmallow and the realization that chipmunks are cuter when they’re not stealing your trail mix.

So yes, I’ve temporarily left behind the hum of modern life to sit with the silence, to scribble in notebooks with sap on my fingers and glittering water nearby. Because the truth is, I want to bring you even better stories. I want the next Magical Papillon Mystery to sparkle with fresh mischief. And I want my characters to sound like they’ve had a bit of fun in the woods, too.

I'll be back soon—probably with leaves in my hair, a notebook full of scribbles, and at least one mosquito bite in an unspeakable place—but most importantly, I’ll return with stories. Stories that were born not in front of a keyboard, but in the quiet places where imagination wakes up.

So if you don't hear from me for a few days? Don't worry. I'm just... writing. Or roasting marshmallows. It's hard to tell the difference sometimes.

Yours from the woods,
Sabine
(Author, Cozy Mystery Enthusiast, Mosquito Buffet)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...