Skip to main content

The ATM Ate My Morning (And Other Tales from the 5:30 Club)

The ATM Ate My Morning (And Other Tales from the 5:30 Club)

So, let’s talk about my mornings.

I know I get up way too early. Like, the birds are still stretching kind of early. Honestly, if you're imagining some serene, yoga-mat-and-matcha situation, please erase that. This isn’t enlightenment, my friend—it’s insomnia. Unfiltered, unmedicated, and definitely uncaffeinated.

But hey, there’s a silver lining to staring at the ceiling at 4:55 AM: by 5:30, I'm up, dressed (questionably), and getting stuff done like I’m starring in an infomercial titled "Organize Your Life Before the Sun Rises!" I’ve alphabetized tea, refolded laundry that was already folded, and—most importantly—gone for early walks with my faithful assistant, Blueberry the Papillon. She’s the real CEO around here. I just carry the leash.

So this morning, full of smug efficiency, I decided to combine my morning walk with a quick bank run. Two birds, one stone. (Or in Blueberry's case, one squirrel distraction, one tangled leash.)

We strolled to the bank around 6:30 AM. The sky was that soft watercolor blur, and I was feeling all kinds of accomplished. I had my deposit in hand, and a vague hope I might also grab a muffin on the way home. Living the dream.

But.

The ATM. WAS. CLOSED.

Let me repeat: THE ATM. WAS. CLOSED.

Yes, I had the same reaction you’re having right now. Like—wait—what? Is that even a thing? Did someone forget to unlock it? Is this a new Canadian escape room concept?

Nope. There was a laminated sign, taped up like it was totally normal and not utter madness. “ATM hours now match branch hours. 9–4.”

I’m sorry, what??
Since when do machines get banking hours? This thing doesn’t need sleep! It’s not unionized! It doesn’t have a lunch break! It’s a robot in a wall!

So there I was, standing outside a locked ATM vestibule, with my dog looking mildly offended that we weren't going inside, and my deposit still in my hand. I work from home, so sure—I could walk back in a couple hours, like a 1950s milkman—but what about people with a normal 9–5? Do they just cry into their coffee?

Honestly TD Bank, what in all that is holy are you doing? I don’t need a banker. I don’t even need a pen. I just need a tiny mechanical hand to eat my envelope and flash me that smug “Transaction Complete” screen.

So now I’m rethinking everything. My bank. My morning routine. My entire financial future. I might have to switch to the credit union. Or start keeping my savings under the mattress like a Depression-era grandma.

In the meantime, I’ve decided to channel this frustration into something productive—like writing about it. Or baking muffins. Or at the very least, training Blueberry to growl at bank signs on command.

Because let’s face it: if I’m going to be up at 5:30 AM anyway, I might as well share the chaos with you.

Stay cozy,
Sabine Frisch (and Blueberry the Disgruntled Banking Dog)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...