Skip to main content

Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

There’s a podcast I’m a little obsessed with. It’s all about scammers who somehow convince the rest of us to fork over our hard-earned money in exchange for… well… dreams, delusions, and in some cases, dubious investments in psychic dolphin therapy. (Okay, I made that last one up. But tell me it doesn’t sound real.)

Every time I listen, I shake my head and go, “How could they fall for that?!” And then I remember.

Oh yes. I too have walked the path of the gullible.

Let’s rewind time to a much, much, much younger version of me. Younger Me, bless her heart, had a weakness for mystery, magic, and online auctions. This is the tale of The Haunted Ring With a Genie In It™. I swear I’m not making this up.

I stumbled across this listing: a haunted ring. With a genie. Real, ancient, probably cursed. But with powers. Powers I could unleash if I performed a SEVENTEEN STEP RITUAL. (Yes. Seventeen. Because eight steps would’ve been too easy and eighteen just felt needy.)

Naturally, I bought it.

Now, I won’t go into all the steps, because (a) I forgot them, and (b) I’ve blocked the trauma. But there were candles. Incense. Incantations. Possibly some chanting in the backyard while the neighbors reconsidered their property value.

Did the genie ever show up?

Well, no. Unless the genie was invisible, very lazy, or had a long list of people to haunt before me. But one thing’s for sure—I got a story out of it. And not just any story. A terrific one. One I now offer as a cautionary tale to anyone who thinks they’re too smart to fall for something ridiculous. (You’re not. Trust me.)

And that, dear reader, is exactly why I let my characters make bad decisions.

In fact, I encourage it.

If you ever read one of my books and find yourself yelling “Nooooo! Don’t do it!” at the page… please know: I’m grinning as I write. Because that’s where the magic happens. The tension. The drama. The “Oh, girl, you in danger” moments. That's what gives life to cozy mysteries and paranormal twists.

Let’s be honest: good decisions are boring. No one wants to read about a character who responsibly budgets, always wears sunscreen, and reads the terms and conditions before clicking “I agree.” Snooze.

But a character who follows a ghost dog into a haunted greenhouse? Or agrees to hold a séance in a cupcake bakery? Or trusts a charming stranger who might be a time-traveling jewel thief?

Chef’s kiss. That’s the good stuff.

So the next time one of my characters does something ridiculous, slightly dangerous, or wildly impulsive… just know that it probably came from real life. (Yes, I did once believe a cat could tell fortunes. That’s a story for another day.)

Bad decisions make good stories. And those stories make unforgettable characters.

Even if the genie never shows up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...