Skip to main content

Imposter Syndrome Is Real - and It Wears Slippers

So - here we go again: it’s 7:13 AM. I’m in my robe. I have one sock on. The dog is staring at me like I just told her I threw out all the treats. My laptop is open, the cursor blinking like it’s judging me, and I’m staring at my manuscript thinking: Who gave me permission to write a book? Was there a form? A permit? Did I miss the licensing exam?

Welcome to Tuesday. Also known as: “Imposter Syndrome’s Favorite Day.”

Here’s the thing—I thought imposter syndrome was something that happened only to other people. People who accidentally got promoted to CEO when they meant to send an email. Or someone who woke up famous and didn’t know how to use Instagram filters. But no. Imposter syndrome is an equal opportunity mischief-maker. And for writers? It’s practically a roommate.

Don’t believe me? Let’s talk about John Steinbeck. You know, Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden—that guy. He once wrote this in his journal:

“My many weaknesses are beginning to show their heads…I’m not a writer. I’ve been fooling myself and other people. I wish I were…I’ll try to go on with work now. Just a stint every day does it.”

Let’s take a moment to digest this. The guy with a Nobel Prize was worried he didn’t measure up. Meanwhile, I once gave up writing for an entire day because I couldn’t remember how to describe toast without sounding like a dramatic food blogger.

Here’s the truth: every writer—yes, even the ones whose books have been turned into prestige dramas and forced upon English students for generations—has heard that little voice. You know the one. It whispers, “Who do you think you are?” It sneers, “Nobody’s going to read this.” It cackles, “This sentence sounds like it was written by a caffeinated squirrel.”

And yet. We write.

Not because we’re certain. Not because we’ve been knighted by the Literary Guild (does that exist? If so, I want a cape). We write because something inside us wants to write. And that’s enough. That’s actually everything.

You don’t need permission. You don’t need a perfect metaphor or a trophy labeled “Most Likely to Land a Three-Book Deal.” You just need that spark. That stubborn, glorious, possibly slightly delusional belief that you’ve got a story to tell.

So the next time you feel like a fraud, like someone’s going to walk in and say, “Aha! Caught you pretending to be a writer!”—just remember: even Steinbeck felt that way. Even I feel that way. And I wear glitter pens like armor.

We’re all just out here, typing through the doubt, sipping lukewarm coffee, and making magic out of messy words. The only way through is to keep writing. Like John said: “Just a stint every day does it.”

And if that stint happens in your robe with mismatched socks and a judgmental dog watching? All the better.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

DIY Audiobook. A bit of equipment, good advice and lots of patience

I want to create an Audiobook - should I?  Ever since the release of book one in the "Cannabis Preacher" series of thrillers, that question has been on my mind.  The "Cannabis Preacher" books were quite long. To produce an audiobook from each of the four, including voice actors and audio production with a turn key service, I was looking at around $15,000 per book. Financially, that was a non-starter for me at the time. That amount represented a LOT of books and audiobooks to sell to recover the investment, and I shelved my plan again.  With the popularity of the "Magical Papillon" cozy mystery series, I found myself coming back to the growing popularity of audiobooks. I knew that audiobooks could reach a wider audience and catered to busy readers who prefer listening while multitasking. The idea of bringing my characters to life through narration excited me, as it offered a new dimension to my storytelling.  The cozy mysteries were only 60-65,000...