Skip to main content

From Loudmouth to Author: The Perks of Being Unfiltered


Let me say it up front—I've never been able to keep my mouth shut. Like, ever. I popped out of the womb ready to give a TED Talk. Ask my mother. She’ll tell you. With tears in her eyes and a twitch in her left eyebrow.

All through childhood, I was the kid asking “why?” one too many times. Or, okay—every time. If a grown-up said something ridiculous, you better believe I had a follow-up question, a counterpoint, and probably a joke that would get me grounded. Again.

And you’d think with age comes wisdom. Nah. With age comes better timing… maybe. But my mouth still gets me into situations where I’m halfway through a sarcastic remark before my brain taps in like, “Really? You’re doing this? Right now? In front of the priest?”

Now, for those who don’t know, I was born in Germany. And let me tell you something about Germans—we do not do subtle. We do not do fluffy. We do not dance around a subject with polite small talk and whispered hints. We march straight into it, stare it down, and call it what it is. Preferably with bullet points and a spreadsheet.

So if you're hoping for a demure, tactful, gentle soul who speaks in metaphors and soft innuendo, I regret to inform you: this ain't it. But if you want someone who’ll tell you exactly how it is, straight from—how do they say?—the horse’s mouth? Saddle up.

It took me a long time to see this as a strength. For years, I tried to tone it down. Be quieter. Nicer. More palatable. It never quite stuck. Sarcasm would leak out of me like steam from a teapot. And guess what? I was miserable when I wasn’t being me.

It wasn’t until I started writing—really writing—that I realized this “loud mouth” thing might just be my superpower. Because my characters? They’ve got opinions. They say things I’ve only thought in PTA meetings. They mess up. They crack wise. They speak before they think. In short: they’re real. They're me.

And the best part? People like it. Turns out readers enjoy honesty. They appreciate a character—or an author—who doesn’t sugarcoat things, but still makes them laugh while telling the truth. And maybe that’s what the world needs more of right now: fewer filtered highlight reels and more bold, unedited voices. Maybe your voice, even the messy, sarcastic, sometimes-too-loud version, is the one somebody out there needs to hear.

So no, I probably won’t ever be quiet. I’ll still say awkward things at funerals, blurt out inappropriate jokes during tense moments, and offer unsolicited opinions on cheese. But I’ll also keep writing, telling stories that are loud, honest, and just a little bit unruly—like me.

Thanks for reading this installment of “About the Author.” If you’ve ever been told to quiet down, to “read the room,” or to be “nicer”—this one’s for you. Keep being exactly who you are.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...