Skip to main content

Buddy the Papillon’s First Night Home

Hello, world. It’s me. Buddy.
Yes—that Buddy. The suave, sophisticated, velvet-eared Papillon who just waltzed into this family like a tiny, handsome hurricane of charm.

Tonight is my very first night here, and I’m typing this up on Mommy’s laptop while she thinks I’m “settling in.” Little does she know I’m already preparing my memoirs. You know, for future bestseller status. I live with an author now, so I’m basically obligated.

Earlier today, I was feeling a bit lost. I won’t sugarcoat it—losing your family is hard. One minute you’re somewhere familiar, and the next you’re blinking in a brand-new world wondering where the cheese treats are. But then… everything shifted. I landed here. In this warm house. With soft lighting and blankets that smell like dryer sheets and hope. And suddenly, somehow, I wasn’t lost anymore.

Let me introduce my new siblings. Kobe is fifteen and has the calm energy of a retired detective in a cozy mystery who has seen everything and just wants his dinner on time. He’s cool. He’s collected. He gave me the “welcome, kid” nod and went back to sleep. I respect that.

And then… there’s Blueberry.
Blueberry the Diva. Blueberry the Princess. Blueberry the star of her own show. She sashays when she walks. She poses when she sits. I think she has her own lighting crew. But don’t you worry about your boy Buddy—I am an effortlessly charming gentleman with refined tastes and excellent tail feathers. I will win her over. Oh yes. Already tonight, she was too sleepy to sass me. That’s right. Victory Number One goes to me.

Mommy—my new mommy—already loves me. I can feel it. She talks softly. She touches me gently. She keeps saying, “You’re home now, sweetheart,” and I believe her. I have a bed tonight. A family tonight. A place to breathe again. My own humans who made it all happen and who were worrying about me before they even met me.

And friends… I am grateful. My little Papillon heart is completely full.

Before I sign off, there’s one more thing. Mommy says we’re going to see someone called “Santa” next week. Everyone acts like this is totally normal, but no one will explain anything. Is Santa nice? Does he give dogs snacks? Does he smell like cookies or like something suspicious? Should I bring backup? Should I wear a tie?

So if you have intel, please share. Your man Buddy wants to be prepared.

Tonight, though, I’m curling up in my soft new bed while Mommy writes her mysteries and Blueberry plots world domination. I’m home. Really home.

Thanks for worrying about me, friends. I made it.

Love,
Buddy
Chief Cuteness Officer
Newly Appointed Co-Star in Mommy’s Cozy Mystery Life

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

DIY Audiobook. A bit of equipment, good advice and lots of patience

I want to create an Audiobook - should I?  Ever since the release of book one in the "Cannabis Preacher" series of thrillers, that question has been on my mind.  The "Cannabis Preacher" books were quite long. To produce an audiobook from each of the four, including voice actors and audio production with a turn key service, I was looking at around $15,000 per book. Financially, that was a non-starter for me at the time. That amount represented a LOT of books and audiobooks to sell to recover the investment, and I shelved my plan again.  With the popularity of the "Magical Papillon" cozy mystery series, I found myself coming back to the growing popularity of audiobooks. I knew that audiobooks could reach a wider audience and catered to busy readers who prefer listening while multitasking. The idea of bringing my characters to life through narration excited me, as it offered a new dimension to my storytelling.  The cozy mysteries were only 60-65,000...