Skip to main content

I Finally Said No – And Lived to Tell the Tale

I Finally Said No – And Lived to Tell the Tale

Let me tell you something miraculous, something that deserves fireworks, cake, and a commemorative plaque in bronze.

I said no.

Yes, you read that right. I, a lifelong serial people-pleaser, a polite Canadian who’s been conditioned since birth to apologize when someone else bumps into me, finally looked someone in the eye, took a deep breath, and said the sacred, elusive words:

“I'm afraid I don’t have the time for that right now.”

And then I didn’t burst into flames.

I didn’t faint, cry, or spontaneously combust from the sheer force of uncomfortable self-respect. In fact, I survived. I thrived. I made tea and went on with my day, though I did momentarily feel like I’d just told someone I eat puppies for breakfast.

Let me back up a little.

For years—decades really—I’ve been the go-to gal for favors, errands, quick edits, last-minute "can-you-just-do-this-little-thing-for-me"s. People would ask, and my mouth, entirely independent of my brain, would immediately say, “Of course!” while my soul quietly withered and my to-do list screamed in protest.

Because that’s what nice people do, right?

We say yes. We help. We smile. We suffer in polite silence and then mutter dark incantations into our coffee mugs while wondering why we agreed to make forty cupcakes, format someone's resume, AND babysit their bearded dragon named Steve—all in one weekend.

But something changed. Maybe it’s age. Maybe it’s wisdom. Maybe it’s the fact that I now keep a spreadsheet of my commitments and the cells were turning red with panic. Whatever it was, I paused, checked in with myself (a new concept for me), and realized:

I didn’t have the time.
I didn’t have the energy.
And I didn’t actually want to do it.

Cue the gasp. Somewhere in Canada, a polite gasp echoed through the maple trees.

But instead of saying yes and plotting my escape via underground tunnel, I tried something different. I opened my mouth and said:

“I’m afraid I don’t have the time for that right now.”

There was a beat of silence. My heart did a jazz solo. And then… the person nodded. Said, “No problem!” and carried on living their life without any apparent trauma. They didn’t unfriend me. They didn’t send a carrier pigeon of guilt. They just… accepted it.

And that’s when the aftershocks hit.

First: guilt. Immediate, full-bodied, "I'm a terrible person" guilt. I even drafted an apology text ("So sorry again for saying no. I hope your bearded dragon finds another sitter. Maybe he could learn independence?").

But then something wild happened. That guilt was replaced by something else.

Relief.

I didn’t have to cram another thing into my schedule. I didn’t have to curse my own existence while baking cupcakes at 11 PM with flour in my hair. I could just… enjoy my evening. Take a walk. Pet my dog. Write a chapter. Breathe.

It was liberating.

Look, I know there are seasoned boundary-setters out there shaking their heads like, “Oh sweet summer child, we’ve been doing this for years.” But for me? This was Everest. This was the moon landing. This was saying no without following it up with a 14-minute explanation, three compliments, and an offer to buy them lunch instead.

So here’s what I’ve learned: Saying no doesn’t make you mean. It makes you honest. It makes you sane. It makes you a better version of yourself because you’re not running on empty and low-key resenting Steve the lizard.

I’m not saying I’ll never say yes again. I love helping people. But now I’ll say yes when I mean it—when I can. Not because I’m scared to say no.

And if you’re still on the “yes to everything” train, may I suggest the occasional stop at Boundariesville. The weather’s lovely, and they have great snacks.

And best of all? Nobody minds if you say no to sharing them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...