Skip to main content

The Year the Christmas Tree Should Have Exploded - But Didn’t

Parents today will never—never—understand how my dad successfully managed a real, live Christmas tree in the 1960s with actual burning candles clipped to the branches. Not LED candles. Not battery-operated flicker candles. I’m talking honest-to-goodness wax candles with flames that snapped, crackled, and bravely licked at the pine needles like tiny dragons with holiday spirit.

And there we were beneath it: three children hopped up on sugar, and a few dachshunds who, for reasons known only to dogs, believed that Christmas was the ideal time for interpretive dance. Add in Lametta—yes, the shiny silver tinsel we draped strand by strand like it was haute couture—and you’ve got a festive setup worthy of a cozy mystery prologue. Any modern fire marshal would faint.

Yet somehow, my father orchestrated this combustible symphony with the calm confidence of a man who believed strongly in supervision, tradition, and the power of a giant bucket of water placed discreetly beside the tree. We weren’t scared. We were briefed. Extensively. Frequently. With emphasis. Those candle-lit evenings came with more safety warnings than a modern chainsaw.

The rules were carved into our holiday DNA: nobody leaves the room when the candles are lit. Nobody roughhouses. Nobody runs. Nobody even thinks about breathing too enthusiastically near the tree. We followed the rules with monastic discipline because, honestly, we wanted Christmas to stay magical. And because we’d seen how fast dachshunds could ignite the chaos fuse.

But here’s the truth I still carry with me, deep into my life as a cozy mystery author: those evenings really were magical.

There was something about the dim room wrapped in stillness, the tree glowing with soft golden flames, the scent of pine blending with wax and warm dog fur, the way my dad hovered nearby pretending he wasn’t nervous. It felt sacred and sweet and a little bit dangerous—the perfect combination for a writer’s imagination. I’m convinced those nights planted the seeds that later grew into the whimsical, slightly mischievous worlds I love to create.

Today’s kids will never know what it’s like to experience “Christmas, but with controlled fire.” And honestly? They’re probably better off for it. But I wouldn’t trade those memories for anything. Even now, when I write about magical chaos, mischievous pets, or family traditions that could go sideways at any moment, I can feel the glow of those candles again. I can hear the dachshunds rustling under the tree like festive gremlins. I can smell Christmas the way it used to be.

And every year, when I plug in my much-safer, electricity-approved holiday lights, I smile and whisper, “Dad, you miracle worker… how did nothing ever catch fire?”

Magic, I suppose. Pure Christmas magic.

And a very large bucket of water.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...