Skip to main content

Somewhere Between 25 and 35 Books (Give or Take): Confessions of a Cozy Mystery Author Who’s Still Learning

People sometimes ask me how many books I’ve written, and I always pause. Not because I’m being mysterious. Not because I’m modest. It’s because the honest answer lives somewhere between twenty-five and thirty-five, and even I’m not entirely sure where it landed and set up camp.

Before you panic, calm down. Many of those books are quietly gathering digital dust somewhere, living their best invisible lives. Only fifteen of them are currently up on Amazon, polished, presentable, and waving enthusiastically at you like, “Pick me! I’m ready!” And yes, that was absolutely a wink.

But here’s the part that made me laugh at myself today. A proper laugh. The kind where you realize something obvious far too late and just have to accept it with grace and coffee.

With every single book, I learn something.

Shocking, I know.

I learn about story. About flow. About structure. About how a mystery should unfold so the reader feels clever instead of cheated. About pacing, tension, emotion, and when to stop being clever and let the story breathe. I learn how much is too much, how little is too little, and how the smallest tweak can turn a good scene into a satisfying one.

I can hear you already.
“After that many books… really?”

Really.

And honestly? I don’t think I’ll ever stop learning. I don’t think there will ever be a moment where I sit back, fold my arms, and say, “That’s it. I’ve mastered this writing thing. No notes.” Writing doesn’t work that way. Stories don’t work that way. Readers definitely don’t work that way.

Every book teaches me something new about how to make a story feel like a warm cup of tea on a rainy day. Or a clever puzzle you solve just before the last page. Or a quiet companion when someone needs comfort, escape, or a little magic wrapped in mystery.

Some lessons arrive gently. Others arrive wearing steel-toed boots and shouting, “We need to talk.” But all of them matter. Every single one makes the next book better than the last.

And you know what? I love that.

I love that I’m still learning. I love that I still care enough to try harder, write better, and shape my stories into something that feels just right for someone out there I may never meet. Someone curled up with a blanket, a dog at their feet, and a cozy mystery in their hands.

So yes, somewhere between twenty-five and thirty-five books later, I’m still figuring it out. Still learning. Still chasing that feeling of a satisfying read.

And that, I’ve decided, is a beautiful place to be. 💛🐾

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

DIY Audiobook. A bit of equipment, good advice and lots of patience

I want to create an Audiobook - should I?  Ever since the release of book one in the "Cannabis Preacher" series of thrillers, that question has been on my mind.  The "Cannabis Preacher" books were quite long. To produce an audiobook from each of the four, including voice actors and audio production with a turn key service, I was looking at around $15,000 per book. Financially, that was a non-starter for me at the time. That amount represented a LOT of books and audiobooks to sell to recover the investment, and I shelved my plan again.  With the popularity of the "Magical Papillon" cozy mystery series, I found myself coming back to the growing popularity of audiobooks. I knew that audiobooks could reach a wider audience and catered to busy readers who prefer listening while multitasking. The idea of bringing my characters to life through narration excited me, as it offered a new dimension to my storytelling.  The cozy mysteries were only 60-65,000...