Skip to main content

Why I Write Magic - And Why You Might Too If You’ve Ever Argued With Your Toaster

Have you ever shouted at the universe, shaken your fist at the sky, or quietly (or not-so-quietly) begged your coffee machine to please just do this one thing right for once? Have you ever wished—deep down—that you had a wand to wave, a spell to chant, or a dragon to sic on your internet provider?

Same.

That’s why I write magic.

Now, let me back up a bit.

I’ve been in situations where life handed me lemons, but also forgot the sugar, the water, the pitcher, and the instructions. You know the kind: where things feel wildly unfair, like the villain is clearly winning, and you're stuck with the sidekick role—but without the witty one-liners or costume budget.

So, what do you do when real life is missing sparkle, fairness, and the satisfaction of a dramatic entrance? You invent a world where things can change with a spell. Where you can say the thing you wish you said. Where justice doesn’t take years and three lawyers. Where kindness is a superpower, animals talk back (sometimes sassily), and yes—your toaster does apologize for burning your bagel.

I started writing magical stories because I wanted to create worlds where the powerless aren’t. Where a single mom with a talking dog and a gift for herbal tea can stop a criminal. Where ghosts can gossip, witches run bookstores, and sometimes the town librarian moonlights as a spell-slinger. (Honestly, doesn’t your librarian already have that vibe?)

I write magic because it gives voice to the silenced. It lets us explore what it feels like to be heard, to be seen, to take up space in a world that often wants us small and quiet. And because deep down, every grown-up I know still believes—just a little—that maybe, maybe, that weird book they found at the flea market really does hum at night.

When I write magical stories, I’m not escaping the world—I’m transforming it. I’m giving it sparkle and bite. I’m asking big questions and disguising them in quirky characters and enchanted teapots.

And sometimes? I’m just having a ridiculous amount of fun. Writing scenes where a cranky ghost refuses to leave until her matchmaking plan succeeds, or where a mischievous Papillon dog with telepathic snark steals the show—it’s therapy. It’s joy. It’s justice in glittery shoes.

So yes, I write magic.

Because we all deserve a little wonder.
Because life is hard and weird and funny and unfair—and in my stories, we deal with that… with humor, heart, and probably a hex or two.

And let’s be honest—deep down, I’m still holding out hope my kitchen appliances will organize and stage a musical number. A girl can dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...