Skip to main content

“5 Things I’ve Learned Supervising My Human’s Writing Process” (A Papillon’s Guide to Managing an Introvert Author)

“5 Things I’ve Learned Supervising My Human’s Writing Process”
(A Papillon’s Guide to Managing an Introvert Author)

 

1. “Quiet Writing Time” Is a Lie

My human says she is going to “sit quietly and write.”

What actually happens:
• dramatic gasping
• whispering “no no no” at fictional people
• intense staring like the laptop has betrayed her

I remain calm. Because someone has to.

2. The Heroine Is Always in Danger (For No Reason)

At least once per writing session, my human puts her heroine in a completely unnecessary life-threatening situation.

Cliffs.
Dark alleys.
Suspicious strangers.

Then she panics.

This feels avoidable.

 3. The Word “Said” Has Personally Offended Her

I don’t know what “said” did.

But apparently it is no longer welcome.

Now everyone “murmurs,” “whispers,” “breathes,” and occasionally “declares dramatically into the void.”

I would like to formally request we bring “said” back.

 4. Snacks Are Not Optional

There is a direct connection between plot quality and snack availability.

When snacks are late:
• pacing suffers
• decisions become questionable
• I lose faith in management

I will escalate if necessary.

 5. The Magic Is Real (And I Am Clearly the Inspiration)

Despite everything…

The stories?
The cozy town?
The mystery and the magic?

It all comes together.

And while my human types the words…

Let’s be honest.

The true brilliance of the Magical Papillon Mysteries is the Papillon. 🐾✨

 You’re welcome for my service.

Now go read the books. I have a reputation to maintain.

— Blueberry


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

Negronis, art, and the Next Mystery

You know you have the best readers in the world when they politely demand the next book—with extra exclamation marks and not a hint of shame. So many of you have been asking (some quite insistently, and with the kind of enthusiasm that makes my day) about the next Magical Papillon Mystery . Those of you who asked on social media — thank you!!! To all of you, I say — bless your sweet, book-loving hearts, and fear not. Pixie will return! Here’s what happened… Last Christmas, after one (or more) festive Negronis with my very talented artist friend, I made the kind of pronouncement that can only come after equal parts gin, vermouth, and orange. I looked around her house — absolutely overflowing with paintings, colors, and canvases stacked like leaning towers of artistic chaos — and said something like, “Wouldn’t it make a great story if someone inherited a house full of original art, and every painting had a secret behind it, and they had to solve the mysteries one by one…?” Well. One...