Skip to main content

One Big, Slightly Magical, Slightly Chaotic, International Celebration (With Cake, Obviously)

There’s something rather magical about this particular moment in time.

Here we are… suspended gently between Canada Day and the Fourth of July. Like the literary equivalent of sitting on a porch swing with a cup of tea in one hand and something slightly stronger in the other, watching the world celebrate in bursts of red, white, and… well, more red and white.

Full disclosure: I live in Canada.

Further disclosure: many of you do not.

In fact, you are everywhere. The United States, Australia, New Zealand, across Europe… scattered beautifully across time zones and continents like the most delightful cast of characters I could never quite fit into one book (though don’t think I haven’t considered it).

And that got me thinking.

Why on earth would I limit myself to celebrating just one country… when I could celebrate with all of you?

It feels like the most natural thing in the world, really. After all, stories don’t belong to borders. A cozy mystery doesn’t check your passport before inviting you in. Magic, last I checked, is gloriously unconcerned with geography.

Also—and this is important—my dog has weighed in on the matter.

My papillon Blueberry, in all her fluffy, opinionated wisdom, would like it officially noted that she does not care what you are celebrating.

She cares that there are treats.

And possibly a gathering.

Preferably one that involves dropped snacks, friendly humans, and a general atmosphere of “this is a good day to be alive and slightly overindulged.”

Fireworks, however, are a firm no.

Too loud. Too startling. Too much like the dramatic climax of a mystery novel when someone shouts, “Wait! I know who did it!” and drops a tray.

But drone shows?

Now that gets a cautious tail wag of approval. Quiet, sparkly, magical in a way that feels like it belongs in the same universe as talking dogs and small towns with very big secrets.

Which, conveniently, is exactly where we like to spend our time.

So here we are.

Between celebrations. Between countries. Between chapters, perhaps.

And instead of choosing one moment, one place, one reason…

Why not choose all of them?

Whatever you are celebrating this week—or this weekend—or even just this perfectly ordinary, secretly extraordinary day…

Congratulations.

Truly.

I’m celebrating with you.

Have the cake. The good kind. The kind you don’t share unless you absolutely have to (and even then, only small slices).

Kick back. Put your feet up. Ignore the laundry. It will forgive you. Eventually.

And if, somewhere between the laughter and the quiet moments and the crumbs on the plate, you feel like slipping into a world where things are just a little more magical, a little more mysterious, and where even the smallest clue might change everything…

Well.

You know where to find me.

It’s rather fun here.

And there’s always room for one more.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

DIY Audiobook. A bit of equipment, good advice and lots of patience

I want to create an Audiobook - should I?  Ever since the release of book one in the "Cannabis Preacher" series of thrillers, that question has been on my mind.  The "Cannabis Preacher" books were quite long. To produce an audiobook from each of the four, including voice actors and audio production with a turn key service, I was looking at around $15,000 per book. Financially, that was a non-starter for me at the time. That amount represented a LOT of books and audiobooks to sell to recover the investment, and I shelved my plan again.  With the popularity of the "Magical Papillon" cozy mystery series, I found myself coming back to the growing popularity of audiobooks. I knew that audiobooks could reach a wider audience and catered to busy readers who prefer listening while multitasking. The idea of bringing my characters to life through narration excited me, as it offered a new dimension to my storytelling.  The cozy mysteries were only 60-65,000...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...