Skip to main content

Writing Guilt and Other Creative Crimes I’ve Committed

There’s a new ailment going around the creative world, and it’s highly contagious. Symptoms include staring at your unfinished manuscript, sighing heavily, and mumbling something like, “I should be writing.” Yes, my friends, I’m talking about writing guilt—and though I hadn’t heard of it until recently, I seem to have earned an honorary PhD in the subject.

Here's what happened....

A little while ago, I had a solo art show. One entire gallery. My artwork. My setup. My everything. It sounds glamorous, right? Cue the applause, the soft lighting, the elegant hors d’oeuvres—except, behind the scenes, it’s less “artistic reverie” and more “running a small logistics company while trying to look charming in public.”

I was the planner, the promoter, the installer, the social butterfly. It was exhilarating… and exhausting.

And right in the middle of it all—between hanging canvases and smiling through small talk—this tiny voice piped up in my head:
“You haven’t written your 1,000 words today.”

Excuse me? I’m knee-deep in bubble wrap and self-doubt, and now I’m supposed to feel bad about not writing? Can we please take a collective moment for this level of unhinged insanity?

I mean, sure—planning is great. I love a plan. I make lists so detailed they could qualify as architectural blueprints. But sometimes, life swirls into a beautiful, messy chaos of creativity that doesn’t fit into a tidy writing schedule.

And when that happens, here’s what I’ve learned: you cannot guilt your way to creativity.

Oh, I’ve tried. I’ve sat myself down, wagged my metaphorical finger, and demanded: “You WILL write those 1,000 words, missy!” You know what happens next? My brain, like a stubborn teenager, crosses its arms and refuses to cooperate.

Because creativity doesn’t thrive on guilt—it thrives on grace.

Grace for the days when your art show or day job or life just is. Grace for the times when you need to fill your well instead of your word count. Grace for knowing that your creative self is always working, even when you’re not sitting at your desk.

We’d never treat our friends this way. We wouldn’t say, “You failed to bake cookies today, so clearly you’re not a real baker.” Or, “You didn’t go jogging, so I guess you’ve given up on fitness forever.”

Yet somehow, we do it to ourselves as writers and artists.

So here’s to taking a deep breath. Here’s to reminding ourselves that rest, joy, and other passions fuel the writing, not derail it.

And the next time you’re standing in your own whirlwind—whether that’s an art show, a work deadline, or just a day that doesn’t go to plan—remember: your creativity doesn’t need a stopwatch. It needs compassion.

Grace. Your creativity lives on it.

Now excuse me—I’m off to not feel guilty about watching a movie with Blueberry, my Papillon muse, who insists that downtime is just another form of inspiration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

The Battle-Scarred ThinkPad and the Mountain of Notebooks: A Love Story

Let’s talk about favorite writing tools. Now, I know some authors might name drop fancy apps, sleek white minimalist keyboards, or those delicate fountain pens with gold nibs that require ceremonial ink rituals … But me? My tools are a little less... romantic. A little more indestructible . And, dare I say, a little more clunky with character . Once upon a time—cue flashback shimmer—I wrote all my stories by hand . Not just a page or two, either. I mean boxes and boxes of handwritten notebooks , full of scribbles, side notes, doodles in the margins, entire character backstories I forgot existed until ten years later. My early stories were a workout for my wrist. I had pens running dry faster than a coffee pot in a newsroom. It was chaotic. It was glorious. Typing those books up? A mission. A translation project. A cryptic decoding effort worthy of Indiana Jones. There were arrows. Stars. Entire paragraphs stuffed sideways in the margins like they were trying to escape the story. So...