There is a very specific expression Blueberry/ Pixie gets on her face whenever she sees me filming something important.
Not when I am casually taking a picture of flowers. Not when I am trying to photograph tea beside a stack of books for the six hundredth “cozy author aesthetic” image of my career. No. She waits. Quietly. Patiently. Like a tiny fluffy theatre critic observing rehearsal from the back row.
Then, the exact moment I begin recording a serious voiceover about writing, creativity, burnout, publishing, algorithms, reader connection, or “the emotional architecture of mystery fiction”... there she is.
Trotting directly through the shot with the confidence of a retired silent film actress who knows perfectly well the audience came for her.
Honestly, if she could smoke dramatically through a cigarette holder while murmuring, “I’m ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille,” she absolutely would.
And the truly irritating part is that it works.
I can spend three hours designing a beautiful graphic with warm autumn colours, layered typography, cozy mystery branding, and a carefully crafted caption that took half my remaining life force to write. I can edit audio until my ears become spiritually detached from my body.
The post will do... fine.
But just wait until Blueberry accidentally appears in the corner of a video for four seconds looking vaguely concerned about a biscuit situation, and suddenly Facebook announces the content is “high quality,” YouTube starts enthusiastically tossing it into feeds, and people arrive in the comments section saying things like:
“I came for the dog.”
“This tiny creature healed my week.”
“Please tell Blueberry I love her.”
Meanwhile, I am standing in the metaphorical rain holding my carefully arranged author branding package like a raccoon who lost a bake sale.
And every single social media expert I have ever encountered says exactly the same thing.
“Lean into the dog content.”
Not one of them has hesitated, not one. Apparently I have not spent years building a cozy mystery author platform, but instead become the assistant manager of a small magical Papillon account. The strange thing is... I completely understand it emotionally while simultaneously not understanding it at all.
What is it about dogs?
Animals in general have this effect, of course. Cats rule entire corners of the internet with the casual indifference of ancient gods. Ducks somehow make everything funnier. Tiny goats wearing pyjamas can briefly unite humanity. But dogs feel different somehow. Softer. Stranger. More personal.
They wander into our lives carrying this odd little lantern of uncomplicated affection that human beings seem desperately hungry for.
Perhaps it is because dogs never arrive pretending to be impressive. They are not curating themselves, or developing personal brands. They are not posting thought leadership content about resilience while secretly stress-eating shredded cheese beside the refrigerator at midnight.
Dogs simply exist in the world with wholehearted sincerity.
Blueberry does not care whether my post performed well. She cares whether I dropped toast crumbs. She believes every walk is a historical event. She approaches rainy afternoons with the emotional intensity of a poet staring out a train window in 1947.
And somehow, through all that uncomplicated little dogness, she reaches people faster than all my carefully constructed content strategies combined.
Maybe readers, especially cozy mystery readers recognize relief when they see it, and see the magic.
The entire genre is built around emotional refuge.
Yes, there is murder. Which sounds alarming when explained badly. But cozy mysteries have never truly been about violence. They are about restoration. About community. About tiny acts of kindness surviving difficult things. About tea shops glowing warmly while storms gather outside. About ordinary people discovering courage. About finding humour even when life becomes strange.
And animals belong naturally inside those worlds because they remind us what comfort feels like.
Honestly, I suspect half of us started reading cozy mysteries because somewhere deep inside we wanted to live in a village where somebody’s clever aunt solved crimes with her cat sleeping beside the scones.
In my own books, Pixie was never intended to become such a central emotional force. She arrived gradually, padding into scenes with all the confidence of a creature who already knew she belonged there long before I did.
Now I cannot imagine the stories without her.
Readers ask about her constantly. She feels real to them. She carries warmth into scenes that might otherwise become too heavy. She notices things humans miss. She softens grief. She interrupts tension. She reminds characters to laugh at themselves.
But IRL she does the same thing for me.
There are days when writing feels impossible. Publishing feels impossible. Algorithms feel like ancient woodland curses placed upon authors by mischievous goblins who feed exclusively on unfinished manuscripts and despair.
Then Blueberry hops onto the sofa carrying one sock and all of the confidence in the world, and the world becomes manageable again. Dogs quietly rescue people far more often than we realize.
As an indie author, I have finally accepted this whith my whole heart.
If readers arrive because they saw Blueberry Pixie dramatically wandering through a video like a tiny enchanted duchess inspecting her kingdom... Great. Come on in.
There are books here. There are mysteries. There are magical little towns and suspicious neighbours and hidden secrets and warm kitchens glowing on snowy evenings.
And yes.
There will absolutely be dog content.
There was never any chance otherwise.
So if you are here for Blueberry, welcome warmly. She accepts admiration, compliments, and possibly tiny snacks.
And if you arrived accidentally while searching for writing advice or cozy mystery recommendations, I should probably apologize in advance because this is now very much a shared enterprise between one author and one extremely self-important Papillon who believes every camera was invented specifically for her.
Frankly, I think she may be right.

Comments
Post a Comment