Skip to main content

5 Reasons Mommy Writes Cozy Mysteries

 

5 Reasons Mommy Writes Cozy Mysteries

(as told by me, her extremely important magical papillon sidekick)

1.     She’s Squeamish (Like… Dramatically So)

Mommy cannot handle guts, gore, or anything that goes “splat” in an unfriendly way. I once saw her apologize to a wilted spinach leaf. Cozy mysteries are her safe little storytelling garden where the worst thing that happens is someone faints politely near a teapot. Much better for everyone’s nerves. Especially mine. I am delicate.

2.     She’s Always Looking for the Good in Everyone

Even the suspicious baker with the twitchy eyebrow? “Probably just misunderstood,” she says. Mommy believes everyone has a soft center, like a perfectly baked muffin. So in her stories, villains get unmasked, but they also get explained. Justice… with a side of empathy. (And possibly lemon drizzle.)

3.     She’s Obsessed with Ghosts

Not scary ghosts. No no. Friendly, chatty, “might help solve a mystery while rearranging the bookshelf” ghosts. Mommy LOVES them. Honestly, half the time I think she writes mysteries just to invite more ghosts over. I’ve started leaving out tiny spectral snacks. It’s called hospitality.

4.     She’s Got Me. Hello. Magical Papillon.

Let’s not bury the headline here. I am small, fluffy, and extremely wise. Also magical. Also fabulous. Naturally, Mommy needs a genre where a charming, slightly enchanted companion (me) can assist with clue-finding, moral support, and looking adorable during interrogations. Cozy mysteries were basically invented for my talents.

5.     She’s Kind of a Witch Sometimes

In a good way! Mostly. She mutters over her tea, predicts plot twists like prophecies, and somehow knows exactly when cookies are done without looking. Coincidence? I think not. Cozy mysteries let her sprinkle a little everyday magic into everything… without anyone calling the authorities.

Bonus Reason (because I make the rules): She Loves a Good Time

Tea, gossip, quirky neighbors, secrets unraveling like yarn in a kitten café… Mommy writes joy into her mysteries. Even when things go wrong, they go wrong charmingly. Which, frankly, is how life should be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Absolute Madness of Naming Characters

  Let’s talk about one of the most ridiculous struggles of writing a book. No, I’m not talking about the part where you stare at the blinking cursor like it personally insulted your ancestors. I’m talking about naming characters. It should be easy, right? Just slap a name on them and move on? Oh, my sweet summer child. If only. See, naming a character is like naming your kid—except worse, because nobody is going to complain if your kid and their cousin both end up being named Liam. But if your main villain is named Liam and you accidentally give the quirky coffee shop owner in book three the same name? Cue the existential crisis. Let’s walk through the madness. The Overthinking Spiral of Doom You start writing, and there’s that moment: your brand-new character walks onto the page, full of potential. All they need is a name. A simple name. Something strong, something fitting, something— Oh no. Nothing sounds right. This one is too complicated. That one is too simple. ...

Stories Are Everywhere: The Writer’s Endless Inspiration

As a writer, one of the most common questions I’m asked is, “How do you come up with your stories?” It’s a question that often makes me smile because the answer is as simple as it is profound: stories are everywhere. Inspiration doesn’t always strike in grand, dramatic moments. More often than not, it emerges quietly, weaving its way into the fabric of everyday life. Conversations with friends, the sights and sounds of a bustling city, or even the stillness of a room can spark the seed of an idea. Writers aren’t just storytellers; we’re observers, collecting fragments of life and spinning them into tales. Let me share a recent example of how a simple evening turned into the genesis of a new story idea. Over two perfectly crafted negronis, I was discussing the schedule for an upcoming event with a friend. Their house, a treasure trove of artwork, surrounded us. Every piece of art seemed to hum with a story of its own. Midway through the second drink, I remarked, “One day, someb...

Negronis, art, and the Next Mystery

You know you have the best readers in the world when they politely demand the next book—with extra exclamation marks and not a hint of shame. So many of you have been asking (some quite insistently, and with the kind of enthusiasm that makes my day) about the next Magical Papillon Mystery . Those of you who asked on social media — thank you!!! To all of you, I say — bless your sweet, book-loving hearts, and fear not. Pixie will return! Here’s what happened… Last Christmas, after one (or more) festive Negronis with my very talented artist friend, I made the kind of pronouncement that can only come after equal parts gin, vermouth, and orange. I looked around her house — absolutely overflowing with paintings, colors, and canvases stacked like leaning towers of artistic chaos — and said something like, “Wouldn’t it make a great story if someone inherited a house full of original art, and every painting had a secret behind it, and they had to solve the mysteries one by one…?” Well. One...